The Championship Cup tackle height trial will not continue for the knockout stages of the competition, which will begin on Saturday 2 February 2019. This was confirmed by the Rugby Football Union (RFU) today.
Interim Chief Executive Nigel Mellville stated that: “The RFU is committed to an evidence-based approach to injury-prevention”
“This was always a trial and we weren’t sure what the outcomes would be. Our two main objectives were to determine whether through law change the height of the tackle can actually be reduced and if a reduction in the height of the tackle then leads to a reduction in concussion risk”, he added.
The trial which was scheduled to run for the duration of the competition did succeed in lowering tackle heights. There was a 24% decrease in tackles where contact was made on the player above the armpit line, a 25% decrease in tackles where contact was made on an upright player above the armpit line by an upright tackler and a 41% decrease in the number of tackles where contact was made with the head or the neck of the player carrying the ball.
Despite the first objective being achieved, there was an unanticipated increase in concussion risk to the tackler where contact was made above the armpit line with a bent at the waist ball carrying player, the RFU said.
Melville added: “We need to analyse the data
in more detail, but our preliminary analysis has shown all of these incidents
occurred when a bent at the waist tackler was attempting to tackle a bent at
the waist ball carrier following a short pass from the scrum half. This is an
area that the trial was not specifically looking to influence as the primary
focus was to reduce the risk of concussion where ball carrier and tackler were
both upright. We will be analysing this particular situation in more detail.”
“Overall this has been an extremely valuable exercise. We’ve learnt a lot and tested an approach to reducing the risk of concussion in a real-life setting. We have shown that reducing tackle height is achievable and we already have useful and detailed data from the first 36 matches in this 43-game cup competition.”
As a result of the decision to not continue with the trial, match officials will revert to the original rule for the knock out fixtures. The line of the shoulders will again be the permitted tackle height when the knockout stages begin.
Before releasing the final report the RFU will be analysing the data in more detail. The report will be discussed at the World Rugby meeting in France in March.
Melville added that the RFU would like to thank all clubs, coaches, medics, management, players and fans for their support, understanding, and engagement during the trial.
“The RFU is constantly looking at ways to make the game safer and looks forward to taking this research to the World Rugby meeting March and discussing ideas and challenges with other unions.”
Rugby Australia Confirm Skelton Stance
With the Saracens team set to be torn apart, Rugby Australia have announced their intentions regarding one of the side’s key men
Skelton has been away from Australia since 2016 following a stint with the Waratahs, where he won the Super Rugby title in 2014. However, in the lead up to the Rugby World Cup last year approaches were made for the massive lock in a bid for him to be eligible for the tournament.
Those moves came to no avail, but now Rugby Australia’s director of rugby Scott Johnson told The Australian that they will go all out to tempt Skelton back to his homeland.
“I can’t see them keeping anywhere near that team together and because he [Skelton] is not English, he will be one of the first under the spotlight. We have spoken to his agent, and we are going to go heavy this week. We are in a realistic chance at some stage to bring him back, if he wants to come back. He’s going to make a decision on what he is doing this for. Is it money, or is it career? So he has to make that clear to us. For us, we won’t compete for the money. We’ll make a good offer. But I only want guys in the country who want to make a difference. He has apparently been saying the right things but, to be fair, he was always just trying to honour his contract,” he said.
If he returns to Australia it is believed he could go back to the Waratahs, but there is also rumours that the Rebels or the Brumbies could try and get him onto their books.
Meanwhile, with a big salary and being unable to play for England, it seems a logical move for Saracens to try and offload the 27-year-old.
Already they have lost Liam Williams to the Scarlets and it is believed that George Kruis will depart for Japan come the end of the current campaign. While question marks remain over a host of star names including Owen Farrell, Billy Vunipola and Maro Itoje.
However, while those players more than likely would seek a move to a club in England, Skelton will have his options and a move back to Australia would be a huge boost for the national side as they head into a new era under Dave Rennie.
Borthwick Confirms New Job Already
Steve Borthwick confirmed his departure from the England set-up yesterday and less than 24 hours his new role has been announced
It is a move that has been rumoured for some time and with Borthwick announcing his departure from the England set-up yesterday after over four years with them, many expected that he would be heading in the Tigers direction.
However, the speed at which the confirmation has come about is the only surprise, but the former England international is delighted to be given the chance to manage the Tigers after learning so much from working with Eddie Jones since 2012.
“The last four-and-a-half years working with the England team has been an incredible journey. I have worked with some brilliant players and staff. In particular, I would like to thank Eddie Jones. To have worked with one of the greatest head coaches in the world for so long has been an unbelievable experience. I’m delighted to be joining Leicester Tigers as head coach. The Tigers have such a long and successful history and are one of the greatest rugby clubs in the game. Welford Road, with the special atmosphere created by the club’s incredible supporters roaring their team forward, is a very special place to be. We must now work to build upon that great history and create our future to get this club to the top of European rugby. It is a brilliant challenge and I am excited to start working with the players and everybody associated with the team. Geordan provides a link with the club’s greatest teams and we will be working together to ensure that there are many successful days ahead for this club, and for our supporters to enjoy,” he said.
He will be welcomed into the club with open arms after being part of the Japanese national set-up that stunned the world at the 2015 Rugby World Cup, before switching to England where he has won two Six Nations titles and reached a World Cup final.
His arrival sees current head coach Geordan Murphy changes his role at the club, taking up the position of director of rugby and club chairman Peter Tom believes that the two former stars can build back a Tigers team that has struggled lately.
“The appointment of Steve Borthwick as head coach and Geordan Murphy in the role of director of rugby provides an exciting combination of leadership, expertise and experience to drive the club forward in its desire to challenge for major honours again. The club has enjoyed many of its greatest successes with a blend of the Tigers DNA alongside fresh, innovative ideas from outside, both among the players and the coaching staff, and we look forward to Geordan and Steve leading that in their respective new roles,” he said.
Both Borthwick and Murphy will be hoping to bring the Premiership side back to the top level of the game come next season, but before then they have their separate tasks, with Borthwick guiding England through the upcoming Six Nations, while Murphy attempts to take the Tigers further up the Premiership table.
Bath Set to Land Fijian Star
Bath look set to make a mid-season swoop for a Fijian international to help bolster their team
The 29-year-old has been with the Falcons since 2017 following a move from the Ospreys, but while the club look set for an immediate return to the Premiership after their relegation, Bath appear ready to give him a fast-track back to the top.
It is believed that Bath are searching for cover for Jonathan Joseph, who is currently sidelined through injury, however, he is expected to be called up to Eddie Jones’ England squad upon his return.
They do have centre Jackson Willison back from injury, but they feel like Matavesi will bring quality and experience to the midfield.
Matavesi has 24-caps to his name for Fiji, but called time on his test career following their poor showing at the Rugby World Cup last year, where they failed to progress from the pool stages.
It would be a big boost for Bath if they can seal the deal as he can also cover the fly-half position. What remains to be seen is if the deal goes through whether or not it will be a deal until the end of the season or beyond, with the Fijian thought to be looking for a move to Super Rugby in the future.
Scotland Suffer Major Six Nations Blow
Smith Defends Parisse “Send-Off” Decision
Former Scotland Star Fearing Tough Six Nations Campaign
2019/20 Season Fixtures & Results
These are class. All the Irish Rugby Gifs
The Low-down on Ulster’s New Signings
6 Nations3 days ago
Jones Drops 10 for Six Nations Squad
6 Nations1 week ago
Farrell Names Ireland’s Six Nations Squad
Champions Cup6 days ago
Leinster Go Strong for Benetton Trip
Rugby Transfer Rumours1 week ago
Welsh Ace Set for Super Rugby Move
Champions Cup6 days ago
Ulster Change One for Bath Decider
Super Rugby1 week ago
O’Connor Poised for Reds Start
6 Nations1 week ago
Scotland Confirm Six Nations Squad
Rugby Transfer Rumours1 week ago
Clermont Eying Japanese Ace