Connect with us

Rugby

South African Sides Facing Injury Headache

Two South African teams have been left with a host of injuries following this weekend’s round of fixtures

Published

on

(Photo by Christiaan Kotze/Gallo Images/Getty Images)

The Stormers and Bulls have been left with injury worries following their match last weekend.

The Stormers came out on top 24-23 in a pulsating clash at Newlands however, they could pay the price when they head to Argentina to face the Jaguares this Saturday.

Versatile forward, Pieter-Steph du Toit went off in the second half of the game with a shoulder injury. It had been feared that he could be missing for an extended period of time but according to Afrikaans publication Netwerk24, he should be back for their next home game against the Crusaders on May 18th.

In other bad news loose forward Ernst van Rhyn’s elbow injury looks set to leave him side-lined for up to six weeks.

The good news for the Cape Town based side is that they welcome back loose forwards Jaco Coetzee and Sikhumbuzo Notshe from injuries. While they have also given flanker Siya Kolisi and prop Frans Malherbe a rest from the Argentinian trip.

Stormers head coach Robbie Fleck is positive that the players available for this weekend’s clash will be able to get a result and give their all.

“We want to keep building on our recent performances and this is a great opportunity to do so away from home. We have a bye after this game before we are back at home, so we will be going flat-out this weekend in Buenos Aires,” he said in a press statement.

On the other side of things Bulls and South African centre, Jesse Kriel, requires surgery on an ankle ligament injury he sustained during his team’s loss. This could leave him out for about two months.

“He has torn a ligament in his ankle and will undergo surgery later this week. He will be on the sideline for a period of six to eight weeks,” Bulls team doctor Herman Rossouw said when discussing the injury.

To make matters worse wingers Divan Rossouw and Jade Stighling have been ruled out of this weekend’s clash against the Waratahs. Although, there is a sliver-lining as centre Burger Odendaal will be available for selection after recovering from an eye injury as the Bulls look to knock the Sharks off top-spot in the South African conference.

Check out the highlights of the Stormers dramatic 24-23 win over the Bulls below

Rugby

Scottish Rugby season ruled null and void.

Published

on

(Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

The 2019/20 domestic rugby season in Scotland has been classified as null and void, with Scottish Rugby joining its Irish, Welsh and Italian counterparts in coming to this outcome.

This decision follows the earlier interim suspension and then final closure of the season based on Government advice in relation to the Covid-19 virus and is being issued today, 31 March in line with the previous objective of informing clubs by the end of the month.

The decision to declare the 2019/20 season null and void – meaning there will be no automatic promotion/relegation – was reached following an extensive consultation process involving the participating clubs, the Championship and Competition Committee members and Scottish Rugby’s own Rugby Development Department.

Five possible scenarios were presented, with around half of clubs favouring the null and void option. The remaining clubs were split between the other four options. The second most favoured option – finishing the season based on the league positions at the time of shutdown – received the support of around a quarter of clubs.

Further to the club consultation, the declaration of a null and void season was recommended by the Convenor of the Championship Committee, the Reserve League Committee Chair and the Chair of the Women’s Competition Committee.

Their recommendation was supported by Scottish Rugby’s Director of Rugby Development.

A paper summarising the consultation process, the possible season-ending options and containing a recommendation from Championship Convenor, the Reserve League Chair and the Women’s Competition Chair was provided to Scottish Rugby Council for consideration and feedback.

The Council’s endorsement of the proposal was then ratified by the Scottish Rugby Board in its role to oversee the best interests of the game, with authority then granted to the Championship Committee to bring the recommendation into force.

Scottish Rugby President Dee Bradbury said: “It was clear from the outset that, in terms of the consequential impact on the various leagues in terms of promotion/relegation there would be no “right” solution, particularly once it was clear that our preferred option of completing the season would no longer be possible.”

“Every solution we looked at was likely to be problematic in some way – none was likely to be supported by everyone. It was therefore considered essential that the full range of options were explored, each potential option was sense checked and that, as far as possible, a broad consensus was reached across the game as to the most appropriate outcome.

“We fully accept some clubs will be disappointed with this decision and share their frustration that, for wider societal reasons beyond our control, their hard work to push for success this season hasn’t yielded the rewards they deserve.”

Scottish Rugby’s Director of Rugby Development Sheila Begbie said: “It was important we went through a thorough process to canvass opinion and offer a range of options for how the season could be concluded.

“I would like to thank all the clubs that contributed to this process and for their valuable input. I know the Competitions Committees and Convenors have put in a huge amount of time to ensure there was a credible outcome for every club, and while there are obviously clubs who will be disappointed, I believe this is a fair solution for everyone in these unprecedented circumstances.”

Dougie Belmore, Championship Committee Convenor said: “Extensive discussion and consultation has taken place with the various Championship and Competition Committee members, together with representatives from a wide range of Clubs at all levels of the game. Following this exercise, the clear agreed position is that, due to the unprecedented events currently unfolding globally, Season 2019/20 should be declared null and void. A number of alternative options have been explored in detail, with the majority of Clubs supporting this outcome.”

Scottish Rugby would like to thank everyone who contributed to this extensive and important process at such a difficult time and thanks all clubs for their valuable insight and understanding in the conclusion of the 2019/20 season.

The SRU has a comprehensive list of FAQs and answers on their website. List can be found here.

Continue Reading

Rugby

New Zealand Pull Plug on Most of Domestic Season

New Zealand Rugby have had to cancel the remainder of their domestic seasons due to the coronavirus outbreak

Published

on

(Photo by Phil Walter/Getty Images)

New Zealand Rugby have been forced to cancel the remainder of a host of their domestic competitions due to the coronavirus outbreak it has been confirmed.

With the Super Rugby season suspended indefinitely due to the virus and looking under real threat of being scrapped, the domestic competitions have already discovered their fate. 

New Zealand Rugby is facing a massive financial loss due to the cancelation of the Super Rugby season and with there being a growing possibility that the All Blacks summer series will be called off. 

Along with the matchday revenue, the television money that may now be lost has forced their hand into calling off the remainder of a host of competitions. 

All competitions below that of the mens and womens national championships have been cancelled. 

That includes The Heartland Championship which has a proud history which stretches back 104 years, with all its seasons being completed. 

The news comes on the back of a number of other top nations following similar roads and the news that the All Blacks players and staff have taken pay-cuts in order to help the current situation. 

It is a major loss for rugby in New Zealand, but the health of the people will always come first and until this situation concludes there will be no rugby on.

Continue Reading

Rugby

Italy Become Latest Country to Scrap Domestic Season

Italy have joined a number of top-tier nations today by announcing that their domestic rugby season will go no further

Published

on

(Photo by Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Italy are the latest country to call off the remainder of their domestic season due to coronavirus the Italian Rugby Federation has confirmed.

The only competition that Italian teams are involved in that is yet to be scrapped is the PRO14, which Benetton and Zebre are hoping can continue come the end of the pandemic.

However, that is seeming less and less likely as the days pass by, with less time to play the games ahead of the opening of next season.

“The governing body of Italian rugby has approved the definitive suspension of the 2019/2020 season. The decision implies the non-assignment of the Italian champion titles and of all the promotion and retrocession processes. In taking a decision that is unprecedented in the history of Italian rugby since the Second World War to date, the Council has taken the utmost consideration of the founding values of Italian rugby and their active impact on civil society and clubs,” a statement from the federation read.

There are four tiers of Italian rugby that are most noticeably affected by the decision made today with the Top 12, and Serie A, B and C all having their seasons cut short and classed as null and void meaning there are no champions, promotions or relegations from any of the leagues.

It follows a similar trend to that of Ireland and England, who have both cancelled the rest of their domestic seasons due to the outbreak of the virus which is causing major issues among the sporting calendar.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending