The reigning domestic league champions previously used Wembley Stadium and, more recently, London Stadium to stage this match, which has traditionally taken place during the March international football break.
This partnership marks a return to north London for Saracens for their annual showpiece home match and further enhances the roster of impressive events that will be staged at Tottenham Hotspur stadium, which includes a long-term agreement with the NFL to host regular season games.
Daniel Levy, Tottenham Hotspur Chairman, said: “This agreement with Saracens further reinforces our aspiration to deliver a world-class multi-use venue in our home of Tottenham.
“To attract one of world rugby’s biggest club sides will bring a new audience to the area, as well as help drive significant socio-economic benefits for businesses and local people, as we continue to underline our commitment to the regeneration of north Tottenham.
“We look forward to welcoming Saracens and their fans to Tottenham and delivering world-class rugby matchday experiences, showcasing our new stadium and all the surrounding area has to offer.
“This is an exciting partnership and, alongside Premier League and NFL matches, it is one that continues to underline our desire to create a sports and entertainment destination that we believe can transform this area of London.”
Nigel Wray, Chairman of Saracens, said:
“As someone brought up at White Hart Lane, for me and Saracens it’s a really special opportunity for us to partner with our fellow north Londoners, with whom we share so many of our core values.
“Tottenham Hotspur have shown themselves to be true innovators in the development of their new stadium and I know you will all share in my excitement at the news that we will make their ground the home of our showpiece fixture.
“Not only this but they are, like us, a club who care massively about their community; who strive to create opportunities in their local area, and who have had such an impact on the young people they work with. The new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will dramatically impact the whole area.
“Together with Spurs we have the opportunity to create something very special in north London. I really do look forward to seeing our partnership come to life!”
The news hasn’t been too well received with Spurs Fans with many expressing their views on Twitter.
NFL ✅— Callum (@1882Callum96) April 2, 2019
Building a successful trophy winning side ❌
On what pitch? Are they going to ruin our grass and leave their markings everywhere?— David (@davidmesser78) April 2, 2019
April Fools was yesterday wasn't it?— Simon Morris (@SimonMorris17) April 2, 2019
Im sorry, i love rugby but the pitch is going to get wrecked, have you seen Twickenham after an international?— Steven Percy (@stevepercy0) April 2, 2019
Saracens Set to Land South African Starlet
Saracens have had their struggles of late but it appears as though despite everything they remain active in the transfer market and are preparing to sign one of South Africa’s brightest stars
With the South African side struggling with cash at the moment, losing a host of their star players in recent times, the English Premiership giants are preparing to swoop in for another, with it believed that the utility forward to sign a five-year contract.
At 22, the forward has been a regular for both the Stormers and Western Province over the past two years and if he does put pen to paper on the deal it would see him become available for England during his career.
The London-based side have had a rough few days being handed a £5.3 million fine and being deducted 35 points in the Premiership for a breach of salary cap rules, but while that is being appealed, the club seem likely to continue their transfer business as usual.
While for Saracens it would be a massive coup to sign Wiese, for the Stormers it would be a huge loss as they have already lost World Cup winners Eben Etzebeth and Damian de Allende, as well as other players such as Dan Kriel, Michael Kumbirai, Corne Fourie and EW Viljoen among others due to the current crisis at the franchise.
The Stormers have been struggling through their pre-season so far as a host of their players are on loan abroad and they await the returns of some of their World Cup stars.
They should be boosted by the returns of captain Siya Kolisi, Steven Kitshoff, Herschel Jantjies, Bongi Mbonambi, Frans Malherbe and recent World Player of the Year winner Pieter-Steph du Toit, who are all set to come back to the franchise come mid-December.
However, the loss of another player and a rising star could not only be a blow for the club but for the Springboks in the future.
Saracens Handed Another Huge Set-Back
Saracens have had a tough few days and things have got worse yet again as one of their star youngsters has been ruled out for the remainder of the season
Saracens’ terrible week has just gone from bad to worse with the confirmation that prop Ralph Adams-Hale has been ruled out for the rest of the season through injury.
The 22-year-old picked up an ankle injury on Saturday during Sarries first win over Gloucester at Kingsholm in four years and was stretchered off the pitch.
It was confirmed that he underwent surgery on Sunday and will go under the knife once more in the coming days to fix the injury, which will now leave him sidelined for the remainder of the season.
Adams-Hale had started the season brightly with two starts and two sub appearances in the team’s first four games to follow on from his Premiership final appearance last season, but this is a cruel blow for him individually as he joins star full-back Liam Williams on the injury list.
Meanwhile, it is yet another set-back for the club as a whole, who were hit with a £5.3 million fine as well as a 35-point deduction following breach of salary cap regulations. They are fighting the decision, but if they fail in their appeal they will sink to the bottom of the Premiership table.
Currently on 13 points they would drop to -22, a whopping 26-points off current basement side Leicester who have only picked up four points from their first four games.
“We have got a plan for the worst-case scenario which will affect our strategy around the Champions Cup. Our job at the moment if the points deduction remains and the appeal is not successful is to try to stay up and that is what we will try and do,” he said last week.
Meanwhile, as well as those blows the reigning English and European champions could face punishment from the European body following their absence from last week’s Champions Cup launch day, with another fine most likely on the way.
Saracens will hope things will get better soon with the return of some key international stars, and will look to kick-start their European campaign on a high when they take on French giants Racing 92 this weekend.
Former All Black Set for Exiles Debut
London Irish have named their team for Sunday’s match against Leicester with three star signings poised for their Premiership debuts for the side
Former All Blacks winger Waisake Naholo has been announced on the right-wing following his sensational move to the Exiles during the summer and will be making his first appearance for them.
Along with Naholo hooker Saia Fainga’a is in the line-up for the first time as he prepares to make his debut for the English outfit.
Meanwhile, Australian international Nick Phipps could also make his debut for Irish if he comes off the bench at some point in the game.
Following their promotion to the top tier of English rugby the Exiles splashed the cash on a number of high-profile players with the likes of Curtis Rona, Ruan Botha and Paddy Jackson already playing a part in the opening stages of the season.
While they still have players such as Adam Coleman, Sekope Kepu and Sean O’Brien to come into the side as they try to cement a place in the Premiership for next season.
Irish are currently sitting in 10th position only one place above the Tigers, who claimed their first win of the season last time out and the Exiles director of rugby Declan Kidney is expecting a tough game this weekend.
“Leicester Tigers are coming off the back of a good home win against Gloucester last weekend, so we know the challenges that they present to us. We are improving as each match comes, so we will be looking to do the same this weekend,” he said.
With one win from their opening three games the Exiles will be hoping that their new signings will make an instant impact as they try to move away from the relegation spot.
Champions Cup, Line Ups, Predictions, KO Times & TV Coverage.
Henderson Returns for Bath Game
Leinster Welcome Stars Back for Benetton Clash
The Low-down on Ulster’s New Signings
These are class. All the Irish Rugby Gifs
“Awful, actually terrible” – Fitzgerald blasts one Ireland star.
Pro141 week ago
Ulster Rugby makes a return to BBC Coverage
Top 141 week ago
Cheika’s Montpellier Move Could Happen Soon
Premiership1 week ago
Former All Black Set for Exiles Debut
International2 days ago
Gatland Suspected Wales Player of Doping
International1 week ago
Scottish Rugby Receive World Rugby Punishment
Pro141 week ago
Munster v Ulster | Team News
International6 days ago
Former Ireland Player Questions Springboks RWC Win
Pro141 week ago
Leinster Smash Connacht for Another Win