Connect with us

International

Extent of Barrett Suspension Confirmed

Following his sending off in the All Blacks loss to the Wallabies over the weekend Scott Barrett has discovered his punishment

Published

on

(Photo by Matteo Ciambelli/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

All Blacks lock Scott Barrett has been handed a three-week ban by the SANZAAR judicial committee following his red card during Saturday’s 47-26 loss to the Wallabies.

The incident which saw Barrett make a no-arms tackle on Wallabies skipper Michael Hooper, was seen as a sending off offence in the eyes of referee Jerome Garces and had a major impact on the game.

Barrett went in front of the SANZAAR Foul Play Review Committee and pleaded guilty to breaching Law 9.16 and following consultation it was agreed that Barrett would be handed a three-week suspension.

Speaking on the decision the committee’s chairman Adam Casselden confirmed that under some circumstances the 25-year-old would have received double the punishment.

“Having conducted a detailed review of all the available evidence, including all camera angles and additional evidence, including submissions from his legal representative, Stephen Cottrell, the Foul Play Review Committee upheld the Red Card under Law 9.16. With respect to sanction the Foul Play Review Committee deemed the act of foul play merited a mid-range entry point of six weeks due to World Rugby instructions that dictate any incident of foul play which results in contact with the head and/or neck must start at a mid-range level,” he said.

However due to Barrett’s clean past and after he showed signs of being truly sorry for his actions it was agreed that the ban would be reduced.

“However, taking into account mitigating factors including the player’s exemplary judicial record, his expressed remorse and the fact the player has pleaded guilty at the first available opportunity, the Foul Play Review Committee reduced the suspension to three weeks. The Foul Play Review Committee adjourned the hearing to seek more evidence regarding the player’s proposed schedule of matches. Upon reconvening the Foul Play Review Committee was presented with extensive evidence demonstrating the player’s intended playing schedule. The player is therefore suspended for three weeks, up to and including Sunday 1 September 2019,” he added.

The result means that Barrett will be unavailable for the All Blacks second Bledisloe Cup game against the Wallabies this weekend, but he is however available for World Cup selection as his ban will have ended before then.

International

England Coach Set for Departure

England have confirmed that one of their coaches will leave at the end of the season and they already have his replacement sorted

Published

on

(Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

England have confirmed that assistant coach Steve Borthwick will leave his role come the end of the season.

The 57-cap former England international has been involved with head coach Eddie Jones since 2012, having previously held the role of Japan’s forwards coach. 

However, in 2016 the two left for England, during which time they have picked up two Six Nations crowns and made it to the Rugby World Cup final last year, but Borthwick admits following the tournament in Japan he made the decision to call time on his current role. 

“I am very proud of what we have achieved as a team since 2016, culminating in a Rugby World Cup Final last year. Having come back from Japan, spent time with my family and reflected on my time with England, I have decided to step away from the role towards the end of the season,” he said. 

As well as his time with England, Borthwick was also part of the coaching set-up during the British and Irish Lions drew with New Zealand in 2017. 

Speaking on his departure head coach Eddie Jones praised his assistant’s impact and confirmed he will be missed around the camp. 

“I have had a great seven years with Steve. He is a loyal, hard-working and analytical coach but I understand he needs now to get out on his own following this campaign. He’s made that decision and we are really pleased for him. He created a great lineout for England and really developed the young guys. If you look at someone like Maro Itoje, he’s become a world-class lock under Steve. He has also turned our maul into a weapon for us and he’s done brilliant work co-ordinating the England programme. We will miss him greatly,” he said. 

The Rugby Football Union have already announced that Jason Ryle will take on the position in November and he is delighted to have the opportunity. 

 “I am really excited about the opportunity to work in a world-class programme with the England national team and someone like Eddie with his experience is very appealing for me. It will be a real honour to work with some of the best coaches and so many quality England player,” he said. 

Ryle is currently the assistant coach at Australian rugby league side Melbourne Storm, where he has been since 2016, but this will be a huge step up for him. 

Meanwhile, it is expected that Borthwick will head to Leicester when he does leave the England team, in what would be a massive boost for the Premiership outfit. 

Continue Reading

International

Wales to Face Japan in the Summer

Wales have confirmed that they will play Japan in the summer along with their clashes with the All Blacks

Published

on

(ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Wales have announced that they will take on Japan in the far east this summer with the venue to be confirmed in due course.

It will be Wales’ first time back to Japan since their Rugby World Cup campaign last year, where they went on to finish fourth following a semi-final loss to eventual winners South Africa and another loss to the All Blacks in the third-place play-off. 

The match will take place on June 27th, ahead of the team’s trip to New Zealand where they will play two tests against the mighty All Blacks and head coach Wayne Pivac is looking forward to the recent World Cup hosts. 

“Going back to Japan for Wales will be a really big fixture on the back of a really successful Rugby World Cup for Japan as hosts both on and off the field. The squad and Welsh Rugby Union made a huge impression on the country in the lead up to and during the World Cup and attracted a lot of local support so it will be great to take the squad back to Japan for the first summer test,” he said. 

Wales’ neighbours England are also set for a return to Japan in the summer, with Eddie Jones’ side set for a two-test series against the Brave Blossoms. 

It is a huge boost for the Japanese team, who will now get to face some top-tier nations following their incredible World Cup displays and will now have the chance to continue their progression at the top-level of the game. 

Continue Reading

6 Nations

Huge Relief for Jones Ahead of Six Nations

Eddie Jones will be a relieved man with one of his key men set to return from injury this weekend

Published

on

(Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

England prop Kyle Sinckler is set to return to action for Harlequins this weekend in what is welcome news for England head coach Eddie Jones.

Sinckler missed out on last weekend’s loss to Sale Sharks in the Premiership having gone off injured during Quins draw with Leicester the week before. 

The England star left the field of play in the 65th minute of that match and the worst was feared as medical staff helped him come off. 

However, the tighthead is in line to return to the starting line-up for Quins trip to Bath in the Champions Cup this weekend. 

It is a massive boost for Jones, who lost his star early in the Rugby World Cup final last year due to concussion and would have been worried that he would once again be without him for the country’s Six Nations opening game against France on February 2nd. 

If he can stay fit between now and then Sinckler appears to be nailed on for a starting role in what will be the team’s first game since their World Cup loss to South Africa

Continue Reading

Trending

Secured By miniOrange