Current and Former Munster Men are Making Plans
Two Munster men have signed contract extensions while a former club legend is leaving his role at his current club
Munster are making all the headlines today with Joey Carbery and Alby Mathewson signing contract extensions while former player Paul O’Connell is set to leave Stade Francais.
Carbery, who joined from Leinster at the end of last season has extended his current contract with the IRFU and Munster by a further two years until 2022.
? CONTRACT NEWS | @JoeyCarbery has signed a contract extension that will keep him at Munster until June 2022!— Munster Rugby (@Munsterrugby) March 26, 2019
Full details > > https://t.co/jJJKw7lEj5#SUAF ? pic.twitter.com/1iNHmWvz2G
The out-half has been in tremendous form since joining the Reds with a chart-topping 68 points in the Champions Cup so far and leading the way for the golden boot in the Pro 14 with 87% kicking accuracy so far.
There had been talk of the 23-year-old Athy native heading back to Leinster when his contract ran out down south, but that talk has now been put to bed. It will put a smile on the face of Leinster No 10 Ross Bryne who has also been in impressive form since Carbery’s departure.
Fellow half-back Mathewson has also signed a contract extension with the province until after the World Cup, to help Johann van Graan’s men get through the tough period.
More positive news sees @AlbyMathewson remaining with the province until the end of November 2019!— Munster Rugby (@Munsterrugby) March 26, 2019
Details > > https://t.co/jJJKw7lEj5#SUAF ? pic.twitter.com/YbWoiig2no
He originally joined as cover for Conor Murray while he was out injured but has gone on to become a key asset to the team and has two tries in 16 appearances so far.
Elsewhere, Munster and Ireland legend Paul O’Connell has confirmed he will be leaving Stade Francias at the end of the season. However, having been linked with a role at Toulan, O’Connell has announced he does not plan to join another club for next season.
“I have decided not to stay beyond my contract year with the club and do not plan to join another club next season either. I had a great adventure at the Stade Français Paris. I am grateful to the club for the opportunity they gave me to live and work in Paris. I was delighted to be able to work alongside Heyneke Meyer, the staff and all the club’s players. Finally, I am looking forward to the end of the season and I hope to be able to help the club during the eventual finals of the Top 14,” he said.
With players like Carbery committing to his former club, could O’Connell be planning a move back home soon or could he join Ronan O’Gara in a possible French national team role?
Sharks sign respected Full-back on 1 year deal
Former Gloucester full-back Jason Woodward joins Sale Sharks ahead of 2022/23 Premiership season
Sale Sharks have signed versatile full-back Jason Woodward on a one-year deal ahead of the 2022/23 Gallagher Premiership season.
The former Bristol Bears and Gloucester man, who can also play on the wing and in the centre, put pen to paper today and will join Alex Sanderson’s squad ahead of their opening pre-season clash against Caldy RFC on August 19.
Jason signed for Bristol from Super Rugby side the Hurricanes in 2016, before joining Gloucester the following year after Bristol’s relegation from the Premiership. He went on to make made 67 appearances and score 90 points for the Cherry and Whites.
The 32-year-old represented New Zealand at U20 level but qualifies for England through his grandmother and was called into a training camp by Eddie Jones in 2017.
Sharks Director of Rugby Alex Sanderson said: “After speaking with Jason it was clear he was still motivated to perform at the highest level, and he was keen for a move North to join the Sharks.
“Jason is a proven Premiership performer who will add a great deal of quality and experience to what is a young squad here.
“He has the ability to play in a number of positions and that’s a massive bonus for us with such a busy schedule ahead.
Images & Content from Sale Sharks Rugby
RFU Council votes in favour of change to gender participation policy
|Press release issued by Rugby Football Union|
- The RFU Council has approved a new gender participation policy following extensive stakeholder consultation and thorough review of all available scientific evidence
- New policy takes a precautionary approach by prioritising safety of players
- RFU promoting opportunities for everyone to participate in rugby offering a range of formats and ways to get involved along with a confidential helpline
- RFU committed to working with World Rugby and UK Sports Councils to ensure further research is conducted and to reviewing the policy on a regular basis
Following an extensive RFU consultation, the RFU Council has voted in favour of updating its gender participation policy for rugby in England from the start of the 2022/23 season with 33 in favour, 26 against and 2 abstaining.
The RFU began a detailed review of its policy in Autumn 2020, this included a game wide survey receiving over 11,000 responses, extensive consultation with and listening to a wide range of independent experts as well as considering all available scientific evidence along with liaising with other sporting bodies.
The review and consultation concluded that detailed peer reviewed research provides evidence that there are physical differences between those people whose sex originally recorded as male and those as female at birth, and advantages in strength, stamina and physique brought about by testosterone and male puberty are significant and retained even after testosterone suppression.
This science provides the basis of the new gender participation policy that concludes the inclusion of trans people originally recorded male at birth in female contact rugby cannot be balanced against considerations of safety and fairness.
The RFU Council has determined that until such time as new further peer-reviewed science is available, a precautionary approach is appropriate to ensure fair competition and safety of all competitors. Therefore, the RFU Council approved a policy change to only permit players in the female category if the sex originally recorded at birth is female.
The RFU recognises this was a complex and difficult decision and the policy change was not taken lightly or without thorough and full research and consultation. Speaking about the decision, RFU President, His Honour Jeff Blackett said: “I would like to thank everyone for the passion, time and effort that has been put in to consulting with us and informing this policy review. Inclusion is at the heart of rugby values and we will continue to work with everyone to keep listening, learning and finding ways to demonstrate there is a place for everyone in our game. We know that many will be disappointed by this decision however, it has been based on all the scientific evidence available. Our game can be strengthened by everyone who is involved; be it in coaching, refereeing, administration or supporting and playing non-contact forms of the game.”
The RFU also considered the merits of a case-by-case assessment process, but in light of the research findings and work of World Rugby and the UK Sports Councils, and given the difficulties in identifying a credible test to assess physiological variables, this is no longer a viable option at this time and does not necessarily ensure inclusion. World Rugby has a dedicated funding stream for research in this area and the RFU will continue to work with World Rugby and other stakeholders in promoting research to continue.
In the male category, players whose sex recorded at birth is female may play if they provide their written consent and a risk assessment is carried out.
The RFU is committed to supporting and encouraging opportunities for everyone to participate in rugby including non-contact formats of the game and through coaching, refereeing or volunteering roles. If anyone would like to find out more about how rugby can be inclusive to them and would like to get involved they can contact the RFU via [email protected] . For anyone who wants advice on mental-wellbeing please see this link.
The RFU has contacted the registered trans women players, who the revised policy has a direct impact on, to offer its support in continuing to encourage them to participate in the sport. The RFU will continue to listen and review its policy on a regular basis and welcomes all new research on this subject to inform these reviews.
For further information on the review please click here:
RFU Gender Participation Policy – frequently asked questions
RFU Gender Participation video
Joe Simpson joins the Sharks Family!
Sale Sharks have signed former England scrum-half Joe Simpson on a short-term contract ahead of the 2022/23 Gallagher Premiership season.
The former Wasps and Gloucester man, who has one England cap and was part of his country’s squad for the 2011 World Cup, has put pen to paper on a six-month deal.
Joe made almost 250 appearances for Wasps after graduating from their academy in 2008, before joining Gloucester in 2019.
He had loan spells at both Saracens and Bath Rugby last season, but after being released from his contract at Kingsholm, he has joined up with Alex Sanderson’s squad for pre-season ahead of a busy Gallagher Premiership and Heineken Champions Cup campaign.
And the Sharks Director of Rugby says that with Raffi Quirke and Will Cliff currently sidelined with injuries, the 34-year-old will be a massive addition to the club on and off the field
Alex said: “We felt that we were short of a bit of experience in the scrum-half position and Joe brings that in abundance. He’s a proven performer who’s played at the very highest level for the past decade and more and we’re sure he will be a brilliant addition to what is a very young squad.
“Everyone who has worked with Joe speaks really highly of him in terms of his leadership off the field so we’re really excited to see what he can do here. Joe’s experience will be invaluable for our young players like Raffi, Gus Warr and Nye Thomas.”
Joe Simpson has been one of the Premiership’s most consistent performers over the past decade.
At international level, he represented England at U19 and U20 level, taking part in the inaugural Junior World Championship in Wales in 2008, as well as playing for the Sevens and Saxons teams.
Joe made his full debut for England during the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand when he replaced Ben Youngs during a pool stage clash with Georgia.
Images & Content from Sale Sharks Rugby
Squad Update | Preparations Continue For Glasgow At Thomond
Gloucester Rugby sign Cardiff star
O’Connor, Annan to start in Reds Suncorp Stadium return
What rugby is on and where to watch it October – December
Six Nations 2020 – Fixtures & TV Schedule
Farrell Names Ireland’s Six Nations Squad
Premiership1 week ago
Polledri set to depart
6 Nations1 week ago
Ireland Squad in Recovery Mode After Murrayfield Mayhem
6 Nations6 days ago
Ireland Sevens Star to join Connacht Rugby
URC1 week ago
Squad Update | Preparations Begin For Glasgow At Thomond
Premiership6 days ago
Davison signs for Saints as Heffernan heads north
6 Nations4 days ago
England side to face Ireland in Six Nations
6 Nations4 days ago
Wales name much changed team for France
6 Nations6 days ago
Tom O’Toole – A Tight-Head’s Journey