Toronto Wolfpack owner David Argyle says the club are on the brink of signing one of the biggest names in rugby union according to League Weekly.
Several players have been linked with Canadian club across social media, but it does seem that Sonny Bill Williams is the name that seems most likely.
The 33-year-old has played across both codes. He left rugby league to return to the Union in 2014.
SBW has suggested in a number of interviews that he would like to finish his rugby career in League, where it all
Wolfpack owner Argyle certainly stirred the pot while speaking at a viewing party on Saturday night.
“We’ve got some really exciting things coming up,”
“Before the Rugby Union World Cup in Japan later this year, we will have one of the top five rugby players in the world (coming here).”
Toronto’s rise in Rugby League has been a radical one with the team playing their first pro game in 2017.
Backed by billionaire Argyle, who has made his fortune in mining they almost secured back-to-back promotions but were beaten in last year’s Million Pound Game by London Broncos.
They have started this seasons campaign with real purpose and have set their sights on the top flight under new head coach Brian McDermott.
Could we actually see Sonny Bill Williams become part of the ‘Wolfpack’ and appear for the transatlantic team next season, potentially in Super League?
Stranger things have happened.
Englishman Invited to Play for Barbarians
A former England international has been called upon to play for the Barbarians and it could cause quite the stir
Joe Marler has been asked to play for the Barbarians against England in the Quilter Cup on June 2nd.
The Harlequins prop announced his retirement from the Red Roses last November having won 59 caps for his country.
However, this time around he will play against the men in white and admits it is something he never thought would happen.
“Playing for the Barbarians is something I never thought would happen so I’m really excited to be involved — it’s a bit of dream come true. I’ve played against them for England, most recently last year, but it didn’t cross my mind that I’d get an invitation so I’m delighted to have been approached,” he said.
Although Marler is excited to be part of the team he is also a little nervous about being on the opposite side this time around.
“I’m really looking forward to running out at Twickenham again but there’s also a bit of trepidation about walking into the Barbarians team room. It’ll be like the first day at school when you’re setting out to make a good impression. I know a few people like John Afoa but I’m sure I’ll have to win the others over!” he added.
Following the news that England’s first choice prop Mako Vunipola will undergo surgery on a torn hamstring ahead of the World Cup later this year there were calls among the England faithful for Marler to reverse his retirement decision. Meaning that his performance against England will be of particular interest.
Marler joins an exciting group of players to have been confirmed for the Baa Baas with Charles Piutau John Afoa, Steven Luatua, Malakai Fekitoa, Rhys Webb and Facundo Isa already among the stars to be announced.
However, Pat Lam’s invitation to Marler is the most intriguing of all the selections so far.
Leinster Star Considering Options as IRFU Talks Continue
Leinster could be set to lose another club legend with the IRFU playing hardball on a new contract
The Ireland and Leinster full-back was missing from Leo Cullen’s list of blues players that have signed new contracts ahead of next season.
Kearney’s manager Dave McHugh has confirmed that discussions are continuing with the IRFU and that the player would like to remain with Leinster.
“Discussions are ongoing with Leinster and the IRFU. We had hoped to have reached a conclusion by now. The discussion is live and open. But it has led us to check other options. We are still hopeful of reaching an agreement with the IRFU and Leinster,” he said.
It is believed that at least two French teams are weighing up the signature of Kearney, where he would earn a massive salary compared to his current contract with McHugh admitting that the money has a part to play.
“The IRFU has made Rob an offer. But if I am honest, it is well below where it needs to be – well below. It has been a little protracted. We are struggling to get it to a point where it makes sense for him,” he added.
At 33, Kearney is nearing the twilight of his glittering career but both he and McHugh want him to continue playing while he is still well able.
“It is Rob’s goal to continue playing rugby while he is fit and healthy and well. He is a starter both for his country and for his province. We need it to make sense for him. We appreciate there is an end point to his rugby playing career. But it isn’t yet,” he said.
With 21 contracts being announced yesterday McHugh explained that Kearney was absent as there isn’t the same urgency in his talks as there has been with other players.
“Rob is contracted to the end of the World Cup, so I guess we’re not in the same rush that Leinster were to announce their 21 new contracts for the start of next season. He wouldn’t return to the province until after the World Cup, so there isn’t the same urgency from our perspective,” he concluded.
Kearney’s future has been under much speculation for some time now and there was fuel added to the fire when teammate Sean O’Brien posted a possible farewell message on his Instagram.
O’Brien himself leaves for London Irish come the end of the season and unless the IRFU budge in Kearney’s discussions it appears as though Leinster could lose yet another one of their most decorated players.
Australian Legend Calls Time on Sensational Career
One of Australian Rugby’s greatest players of all-time has pulled the curtain on a glittering career
Australian flanker George Smith has announced his retirement after 20-years of playing professional rugby.
The 38-year-old confirmed the decision after his short-term contract with the Bristol Bears expired.
Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle thanked Smith for his time in the game and noted how big a star he was.
“On behalf of the Australian rugby community I extend my congratulations to George on what has been an amazing career. George belongs in that rare category of player that could turn the course of a game in an instant with a crucial turnover, a powerful run or a big defensive play. He was universally respected by his team-mates and opponents and has been a huge presence in the clubs he has represented all over the world, as well as on the international stage with the Wallabies,” he said.
General manager of the Classic Wallabies and former teammate Justin Harrison acknowledged how good a player he was to play alongside.
“On behalf of the Classic Wallabies I pass on our congratulations to George on his remarkable rugby career. I, like many, had the great privilege of playing alongside George and I knew every time you played with him you knew you were playing alongside one of our greatest players and hairstyles,” he said.
He went on to welcome the legend to the Classic Wallabies team while also taking time to point out the impact Smith had on the game.
“George has inspired a whole generation of Australian rugby supporters to pick up a ball and play the game. We are richer for having had the opportunity to witness George playing in a gold Wallaby jersey. We now welcome George to the Classic Wallabies and we ask that he keeps one pair of boots for his first Classics capped match,” he added.
Smith managed to pick up two Super Rugby titles with the Brumbies along with 164 Super Rugby caps between his time with them and the Reds. Before it all began Smith was at Sydney side Manly where he was signed from by Eddie Jones in 1999 for the Brumbies and Smith remembers the day well as well as being thankful for the chance he was given.
“I’m grateful for his advice and friendship. The day I rocked up to sign my first Brumbies contract with dreadlocked hair, board shorts and thongs [flip-flops], I think back and shake my head as to why he didn’t just turn me away right there and then,” Smith said.
During his 12 years with the club he picked up 10 Players’ Player of the year awards, as well as two Wallabies Players’ Player of the year awards and will be remembered for everything he brought to the game.
Isles Up to Williams Challenge
Leinster vs Glasgow; Pro 14 Final Preview & Key Battles
Pro 14 Dream Team Announced
“Awful, actually terrible” – Fitzgerald blasts one Ireland star.
WATCH: How did this hit from Tuilagi go unnoticed & unpunished?
The Low-down on Ulster’s New Signings
Pro144 days ago
Ulster confirm signing of new Out-Half.
Pro142 days ago
Munster launch new Jerseys and Twitter doesn’t seem to like them.
International1 week ago
Former Scottish International Retires at Just 31
Top 141 week ago
Former France Full-Back Retires at 33
Rugby Transfer Rumours1 week ago
South African Star Heading for Japan
Premiership2 days ago
WATCH: Move over Danny Cipriani, Francois Hougaard throws a flatter pill.
Pro144 days ago
Leinster Set to be Without Key Man for Pro 14 Final
Pro143 days ago
Leinster Confirm 21 New Contracts but One Man Still Hasn’t Signed