Connect with us

Super Rugby

Could Crotty Join All Blacks Abroad?

Published

on

Photo by Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images

All Black Ryan Crotty has remained coy on whether he will be heading overseas.

It is believed by RugbyPass that the Crusaders centre has already agreed a deal with Japanese Top League side Kubota Spears but he insists that he is in no hurry to discuss a deal.

“No, there’s no rush. Each year, I do it [contract] year-by-year. Once I make a decision, that will be it. But everything always comes on the back of playing well for this team here,” he said.

Crotty who has 132 caps for the Crusaders under his belt claimed he is not looking ahead and is focusing on now.

“I’m not looking too far away. Just trying to stay and live in the moment as best I can, and enjoy what I’m blessed to be able to do,” he said.

It would be no surprise to New Zealand if he did head overseas following the World Cup later this year, but it might be a worry as he is only one of many names reported to have sights on leaving.

Liam Squire announced his departure to the Top League earlier this week while Owen Franks joined Northampton yesterday.

Other names that are popping up are Ben Smith, Waisake Naholo, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Jordan Taufua and Jeff Toomaga-Allan.

However, the biggest concerns for fans of the world’s number No 1 team will be the fact that Beauden Barrett, Brodie Retallick and Kieran Read have all been linked with moves to Europe or Japan.

In Kieran Read’s case he has spoken about the likelihood off his international retirement post-world cup but the other two would be major losses on the international stage.

It might mean that players such as 36-year-old Ma’a Nonu’s return to the fold might be at the perfect time as he could in fact force his way into the team.

Although the All Blacks have never had a shortage of talent, it would be a real pity if they lost such star names and leaders before they pass on their knowledge to the next generation of heroes.

International

Rugby Australia Make Significant Cuts

Following the coronavirus pandemic rugby has been hit hard with no way of playing games and now Rugby Australia have been forced into making cuts in order to retain staff in the long-run

Published

on

(Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)

Rugby Australia have confirmed that they will be standing down 75% of their staff in a bid to combat the growing struggles that the coronavirus pandemic is causing.

The workers will be released from tomorrow until the 30th of June due to the lack of finances available to Rugby Australia with the Super Rugby season currently on hold and a strong possibility of the Wallabies summer tests being called off. 

In the worst case possible the organisation are predicting a loss of $120 million due to the virus and speaking on the latest developments the organisation’s chief executive Raelane Castle admitted this was the toughest decision she and her colleagues had ever had to make. 

“Today we have had to deliver the hardest news imaginable to our incredible, hard-working and passionate staff, that many of them will be stood down for a three-month period so that the game can survive this unprecedented crisis. Since the suspension of our proposed domestic Super Rugby competition, we have been working to understand both the immediate and long-term financial implications for the game as a result of the suspension of the competition, and potential further loss of revenue-generating content as we look ahead to the international season. Our extensive modelling shows that as a code, we could lose up to $120 million in revenue should it not be possible for any rugby to be played in 2020. Of course, that is the worst case scenario, and we are very hopeful that we can recommence the Super Rugby season and domestic Wallabies test matches at some point this year. The measures we will implement from April 1, although extremely painful, are necessary to ensure the sport remains financially viable and to ensure that we are able to come out the other side of this global crisis, fully-operational and ready to throw everything into the rebuild. It is our priority to keep all of our valued team connected and engaged through this period,” she said. 

Castle’s has already taken a 50% pay cut since the crisis began and the rest of Rugby Australia’s executives will have a 30% reduction in pay. 

It is a tough call to make in order to preserve rugby in Australia and the fear is that things may get worse with a fear that not all four of the country’s Super Rugby franchises will make it through to next season due to the financial losses.

Continue Reading

Super Rugby

New Zealand Rugby Sides Facing Pay Cuts

New Zealand Rugby are preparing for the possibility of having to cut wages following the outbreak of the coronavirus

Published

on

(Photo by Phil Walter/Getty Images)

New Zealand Rugby Players’ Association chief executive Rob Nichol has admitted that there is a possibility of pay cuts among Super Rugby sides with the league in lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Over the weekend it was confirmed that Super Rugby would be suspended due to the coronavirus and there is a fear that the competition may not be completed this year. 

Speaking on the situation, Nichol told Stuff that New Zealand’s five Super Rugby side are preparing for the worst. 

“As it stands right now, things are kind of status quo. But we are not naive. We know there is going to be a commercial impact, we know we will have to sit around the table and work with the other stakeholders and be a part of the solution. And get things on an even keel once we understand what we are really dealing with,” he said. 

There are a number of options over the remainder of the season being put forward, with only “derby matches” being played one of the possibilities. 

That would mean a number of matches not being played and a loss in matchday revenue for the respective teams, but Nichol is ready for whatever happens as long as the people are looked after. 

“Whatever we decide to do, it will be that kind of team approach. We know there is going to be commercial ramifications but first of all we will be doing what is right for the people,” he added. 

There is no certainty over what is going to happen in the coming weeks and months, but the ramifications could be huge and Nichol finished by stating that however this ends all sides will work their hardest to make the most of a bad situation with clubs heading into the unknown at this moment in time.

Continue Reading

Super Rugby

Wallabies Ace Set for Stint on Sidelines

One of the Wallabies star players is set to be out of action for the next while due to an injury he picked up playing for the Brumbies last weekend

Published

on

(Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)

Wallabies prop Allan Alaalatoa is set to be out of action for the next few weeks after breaking his arm playing for the Brumbies last weekend the Super Rugby franchise have confirmed.

The 26-year-old Brumbies captain left the field of play before half-time in the Brumbies 47-13 win over the Waratahs and returned to the sidelines with his arm in a sling. 

It has now been announced that he broke his arm during the game and is expected to miss around six weeks due to the injury with the club hoping to see their star man out on the pitch again soon. 

“The Brumbies can confirm that captain Allan Alaalatoa suffered a broken arm in the match against the Waratahs. Get well soon skip!,” the Brumbies tweeted. 

However, despite the injury it is unknown how many matches Alaalatoa will actually miss, if any at all with Super Rugby currently suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak meaning no matches are being played for the foreseeable future. 

It could mean that he will be back in action along with his teammates whenever they return to play, whatever happens the hope is that the 37-cap Wallaby will be back to play as soon as possible.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending