Connect with us

Pro14

Munster Star Set for Return to Action

Munster are set to have one of their key men back in time for their game against Leinster this weekend

Published

on

(Photo Credit: Joshua Freeman - Huge Rugby)

Munster and Ireland fly-half Joey Carbery is in line to make his return from injury during this Saturday’s PRO14 derby against Leinster at Thomond Park.

The No 10 has been out of action since returning from the Rugby World Cup in Japan after struggling with an ankle injury that he picked up in Ireland’s first warm-up game ahead of the tournament. 

Despite looking off the pace and in an apparent race against time to be fit for the World Cup, Carbery was selected in the country’s squad. However, he only seemed to aggravate the injury while in Japan and has been sidelined since. 

However, Munster head coach Johann Van Graan is positive ahead of his possible return against their rivals on Saturday. 

“It’s possible. A few things still need to go right. He did a bit of training with us on Thursday and obviously he’ll go to the stocktake of the national team and then we won’t train again after Monday until Thursday. So, we’ll see him back on Thursday and then we’ll make a decision on his availability. Like I said, I’m not going to put him on the field if he’s not 100% right so we’ll make that call if the call is in our hands on Thursday. What I mean by that is if he keeps improving day in, day out,” he said. 

It would be a big boost for the southern province, but Carbery won’t just walk back into the starting line-up, with JJ Hanrahan starring in his absence, especially during the weekend’s 19-14 win over Connacht as he knocked over all five of his kicks from the tee. 

The past year has been rough for Carbery, who also missed large parts of the latter stages of last season due to a hamstring injury, before this ankle injury took place. 

His return would be a welcome one for both Munster and Ireland, with the nation preparing for the Six Nations in February and with first-choice out-half Johnny Sexton an injury concern for the opening rounds, Carbery could be well placed to stake a claim for a starting berth if he can hit the ground running.

6 Nations

Scarlets provide updates on Williams & Owens

Published

on

(Photo by ANDREAS SOLARO/AFP/Getty Images)

Liam Williams has recovered from a foot injury that has prevented him playing for the Scarlets so far this season. He has been released from the Wales squad to train with the Scarlets ahead of Friday’s Guinness PRO14 clash with Benetton.

Ken Owens has undergone surgery on the shoulder injury he sustained against Glasgow and it is expected he will be unavailable for three to four months.

Josh Macleod has started his rehabilitation for a hamstring injury sustained against Glasgow. He will be targeting a return to play in December.

Scarlets also confirmed that Sam Lousi has been banned for a period of four weeks as a result of his red card in the Guinness PRO14 clash with Glasgow Warriors.

Lousi was shown a red card by referee Frank Murphy (IRFU) under Law 9.13 – a Player must not tackle an opponent early, late, or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling, or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulder even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

The disciplinary hearing was handled by Roddy Dunlop (Scotland) and it was accepted that the player’s actions warranted a red card for foul play. The incident was deemed a mid-range offence, which carries a six-week suspension.

Due to the player’s previous disciplinary record (red card for punching incident, February 2020) the judicial officer could not offer full mitigation therefore, resulting in a four-week suspension.

Lousi is free to resume playing from midnight on November 9, 2020

Continue Reading

Pro14

Marcus Rea to start for Ulster v Ospreys

Published

on

Photo By Oliver McVeigh/Sportsfile via Getty Images

Marcus Rea will make his first start for Ulster on Saturday evening, in the Guinness PRO14 Round 2 trip to play Ospreys at Liberty Stadium (kick-off 5.15pm). 

The 23-year-old – who was Player of the Match in his sole previous Ulster appearance as a replacement against Leinster in April 2019 – has been named at openside flanker. Marcus’s older brother Matty – Player of the Match in last weekend’s bonus point win over Benetton – is named alongside him at blindside, with Marcell Coetzee once again packing down at number eight. 

Jack McGrath, Rob Herring and Marty Moore have been given the front row starting berths, and Alan O’Connor has been selected along with captain Iain Henderson in the second row. 

Matt Faddes returns to the starting side on the right wing and will join Jacob Stockdale at full-back and Rob Lyttle on the left wing. Last week’s midfield duo of Stewart Moore and James Hume has been retained. Ian Madigan comes in to start at fly-half, pairing with John Cooney at scrum-half. 

The coaching team has opted for a 6-2 bench split. Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Kieran Treadwell, Greg Jones and Sean Reidy provide the forward options, with David Shanahan and Louis Ludik offering back line cover.  

Ulster team to play Ospreys Rugby, Guinness PRO14 Round 2, Saturday 10 October 2020, at Liberty Stadium (kick-off 5.15pm, live on Premier Sports):   

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Rob Lyttle, Ian Madigan, John Cooney.  (1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.) , Matthew Rea, Marcus Rea, Marcell Coetzee.  Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Kieran Treadwell, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Louis Ludik, Sean Reidy. 

Continue Reading

Pro14

Munster confirm COVID-19 case. Training suspended.

Published

on

(Photo By Brendan Moran/Sportsfile via Getty Images)

Munster Rugby have been assisting a senior player who has tested positive for Covid-19.

The latest PCR testing carried out on Monday at the HPC has returned a positive result for a player who is asymptomatic. To remove any doubt of a potential false positive the player will be retested tomorrow.
The individual, who was not part of the travelling group at the weekend, and six other players identified by Munster Rugby as potential close contacts, are currently self-isolating.

This approach of identifying possible close contacts is in line with the caution we have taken to this issue, these players may not be deemed close contacts by the HSE.

As a precautionary measure, the squad and academy will not train at the HPC today.
The HSE have been notified for contract tracing purposes.

Further PCR testing will take place tomorrow at the HPC with a return to scheduled training planned for Thursday ahead of Saturday’s Guinness PRO14 encounter against Edinburgh at Thomond Park.

Munster Rugby Head of Medical, Dr Jamie Kearns, said: “As an immediacy we are taking every precaution by standing down training today.

“We are going to complete another round of PCR testing tomorrow so that we can return to training on Thursday.

“Our priority is to ensure the health and safety of our players and staff, and we will continue to work closely with both the IRFU and HSE in this regard.”

Statement from Munster Rugby

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending