All four Irish provinces have added players to their squads before their respective European quarter-finals.
Under the European Cup rules the teams that have qualified for the knock-out stages are entitled to add up to three players to their respective squads.
Leinster, who face Ulster in the last eight in the Aviva on March 30th, have chosen to include a fit-again Joe Tomane, who was released earlier in the competition to receive surgery on his hamstring, winger Barry Daly and prop Vakh Abdaladze.
.@DalyBJOfficial, @JoeTomane29 and Vakh Abdaladze have been added to #LeinsterRugby's European squad ahead of the Heineken #ChampionsCup quarter-final against Ulster, subject to confirmation by EPCR. pic.twitter.com/iM320jQBjI
— Leinster Rugby (@leinsterrugby) March 14, 2019
On the other side, Ulster have included Luke Marshall, who had been missing through injury, James Hume and Tommy O’Hagan, as they hope to dethrone the reigning champions.
Munster have brought in James Cronin, Bill Johnston and Jack O’Donoghue for their match away to Edinburgh. The latter could be vital as they are currently without Tommy O’Donnell who is out with a shoulder issue.
SQUAD UPDATE | Dave O'Callaghan returns to full training this week as James Cronin, Bill Johnston and Jack O'Donoghue are nominated as our additional players for the Champions Cup.
— Munster Rugby (@Munsterrugby) March 14, 2019
In the Challenge Cup, Connacht have registered Tom Daly and Stephen Fitzgerald, on loan from Leinster and Munster respectively, for their clash with Sale in two weeks’ time.
The additions are great to have, and we will have to wait and see if any of them play a pivotal role in getting their side through to the final four.
Leinster and Ireland Star Signs New Contract
One of Ireland’s key men has signed a new two-year deal with the IRFU
The prop is one of the country’s most consistent performers and is delighted to have the opportunity to continue representing both province and country.
“Pulling on a Leinster or an Ireland jersey is something that I have always taken a huge amount of pride in and I am thankful for every opportunity I get. I am delighted therefore to have extended my IRFU contract and to continue to line out for Leinster. I believe that we have built something special at Leinster and with the national team and I want to contribute as best I can to both teams in what will be a hugely exciting few months and years ahead,” he said.
Healy has faced a number of serious injuries over the years but has thanked everyone at club and national level for their support and looks forward to the future with both.
“There has been some difficult times over the last few years for me personally with injury but the support within the Leinster and the Irish rugby family was very humbling from fellow players, coaches and supporters and it’s something that I won’t forget. It made this decision all the easier knowing that I was part of something bigger than just a rugby team. I hope to play my part in helping Leinster and Ireland achieve further success over the next few years and I’m looking forward to the next chapter in that journey,” he added.
Having been capped by Ireland 88 times since his debut in 2009 and holding 207 Leinster caps to his name already Healy is almost ever-present and IRFU Performance Director David Nucifora paid tribute to his consistency.
“Cian is performing at a very high level week in and week out. He works incredibly hard in ensuring that he is physically in the best condition to perform and has bounced back from adversity to return to the top of the international and club game. He will continue to be a leading performer for Ireland and Leinster over the coming years,” he said.
Healy has represented Ireland at two World Cups (2011 and 2015) and will be hoping to be heading to a third in Japan later this year, he also represented the British and Irish Lions in 2013.
As well as that Healy has a host of winner’s medals to his name with three Six Nations Championships in the bag for Ireland, while with Leinster he has won four European Cups, three Guinness Pro titles and a Challenge Cup.
Connacht Receive Planning Permission for Stadium Redevelopment
Connacht have announced that the Sportsground’s redevelopment has been given the all-clear and will have a couple of new features
Connacht Rugby have been granted planning permission for the €30 million redevelopment of the Sportsground and it will some new features.
The land is owned by the Irish Greyhound Board and will include a new greyhound racing track once complete along with a new high-performance centre.
Speaking on the redevelopment Connacht’s chief executive Willie Ruane admitted he is delighted that everything had been passed.
“There has been huge momentum behind the project since we announced last October, and we now have the final granting of planning permission. With 130 people employed throughout the province by Connacht Rugby we are extremely proud of the annual contribution of €34.4 million we are making to the regional economy,” he said
The new stadium will also have a 12,000-seat capacity, with two stands on either touchline and terrace areas behind the try-lines.
The club secured €10 million in private funding between its own funds and an approved bank credit facility. Ruane confirmed that without the State providing the other €20 million the project cannot continue.
“We have €10m in private funding to bring to the table through a mixture of Connacht Rugby funds and an approved bank credit facility. The project is now shovel ready and the remaining €20m state investment is critical to its delivery,” he added.
The redevelopment would be a massive boost to the club who are progressing season by season and have secured Champions Cup rugby for next season. It is also positive news for the Galway area as a whole as it continues to grow in popularity among tourists and this will only add to the attraction.
Saracens’ Star Duo to Miss End of Season
Two Saracens players are set to miss the remainder of the season and there is no set date for their return
Saracens props Mako Vunipola and Titi Lamositele will miss the end of the season due to injury.
Vunipola, who has been plagued by injury this year, has picked up a significant hamstring injury but Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall is certain he will be available for England’s World Cup campaign.
“Mako has a torn hamstring. We’re waiting to see exactly what happens with that, but I very much doubt he’ll play again this season. Nether will Titi. Mako won’t be out of the World Cup, but he’ll be out for a while. It’s quite a significant injury. It’s disappointing to lose two players of that quality and it makes us a little bit vulnerable,” he said.
Many of the 23 that took part in the final are expected to be rested in the final regular season game of the campaign against Worcester this Saturday. However, Saracens face a semi-final a week later and a potential final to retain their crown a week after that and this is a huge blow.
Despite the losses McCall is confident that his side have the firepower to get the job done.
“Juan Figallo is just coming back from injury, which is good timing. We were really impressed with Richard Barrington and Vincent Koch did when they came on, and Christian Judge has had a really good season. So we’ve got some guys who are ready to step up,” he added.
Although McCall has said that Vunipola will be ready for the World Cup, England head coach Eddie Jones will be sweating on the match-fitness of one of his star men, who has only played twice in the past three months.
Fiji Lose Key Coach as Budget Overspent
Leinster Confirm 21 New Contracts but One Man Still Hasn’t Signed
Australian Legend Calls Time on Sensational Career
“Awful, actually terrible” – Fitzgerald blasts one Ireland star.
WATCH: How did this hit from Tuilagi go unnoticed & unpunished?
The Low-down on Ulster’s New Signings
Pro141 day ago
Ulster confirm signing of new Out-Half.
Rugby Transfer Rumours1 week ago
O’Gara Set for French Return
International4 days ago
Former Scottish International Retires at Just 31
Rugby1 week ago
Toronto Wolfpack List 10 Rugby Union Stars on Wishlist for Rugby League Team
Top 145 days ago
Former France Full-Back Retires at 33
Rugby Transfer Rumours6 days ago
South African Star Heading for Japan
Pro141 day ago
Leinster Set to be Without Key Man for Pro 14 Final
Mitre 101 week ago
Ulster Add New Zealand Star to Their Ranks