Former French Rugby head coach Guy Noves has been given €1million by an industrial tribunal against the FFR following his dismissal in 2017.
Noves was sacked after suffering six straight defeats between June and November 2017, a record federation chief Bernard Laporte thought unacceptable. That made him the first French coach to ever be sacked as the FFR alleged he was guilty of serious misconduct.
However, the tribunal decided otherwise and awarded Noves the sum, after he originally looked for €2.88million and sided with Noves who claimed they had failed to uphold their employment procedures during his dismissal.
Both sides may appeal the decision however, speaking after Noves told reporters he was content with the outcome.
“We have been waiting for this result for 15 months. We got it. I’m satisfied. My honour is clean. There is no serious fault on my part, and it is the most important. It’s satisfying. Is it behind me? I do not know because it’s hard to suffer this kind of accusation. I did not deserve that. It’s a relief, but I’ll never forget. Personally, I am satisfied with the result and I will not appeal,” he said.
Noves was originally contracted to lead France to the Rugby World Cup in Japan later this year, although his successor Jacques Brunel has arguably left them in a worse position heading into the tournament. He himself appears to be on the way out after the competition as they appear set to replace yet another coach.
Sexton to Miss Northampton Return Game
Leinster fly-half Johnny Sexton is set to miss this weekend’s home game against Northampton Saints and there are further injury concerns for the Irish province
The Irish-star went down awkwardly in a tackle early in the second-half of Saturday’s 43-16 victory over the Saints and was replaced by Ross Byrne immediately and will now see a specialist later today for further scans on the injury.
The 34-year-olds fitness uncertainty will come as a massive concern for new Ireland head coach Andy Farrell, with the Six Nations edging closer and with him set to take charge of his first training camp before the New Year.
As well as his skill-set, many expect Sexton to take over the captaincy from recently retired Rory Best, with his experience being a key component to the Irish side.
The good news for his province is that Ross Byrne has been in fine form so far this season after his Rugby World Cup omission from the Irish squad and has back-up from younger brother Harry as well as Ciaran Frawley, with Ross likely to take the starting spot this weekend.
However, Leinster will be without backs Joe Tomane and Rory O’Loughlin this weekend, with the former set to be side-lined for up to eight weeks with a hamstring injury following a brilliant opening to the season, while the latter is suffering from a shoulder problem.
In the forwards James Ryan is undergoing the return to play protocols after taking a knock to the head during Saturday’s win.
Leinster and Ireland will hope that Sexton makes a speedy recovery, but for the boys in blue their eyes will be firmly set on this weekend’s fixture which could see them all but qualify for the knock-out stages of the competition and they will want to continue their perfect start to the season with an incredible 10 wins from 10.
Wales Dealt Six Nations Double-Blow
Wales’ Six Nations title defence has been dealt a massive blow already with two stars facing surgery to fix injuries picked up on international duty
Davies, a key member of the Welsh squad for the past number of seasons sustained a knee injury during Wales’ recent Rugby World Cup campaign, and Scarlets have announced that he will undergo surgery on the injury.
The recovery time for the for the centre is set to be six months, meaning he will miss the entire Six Nations tournament in what could be a critical blow as they look to defend their title. While it also means that he could potentially miss the entire club season for Scarlets.
As for Patchell, things aren’t as severe as Davies, but the fly-half is still set to miss the start of the Six Nations with a shoulder injury, which he too will have surgery on.
He is expected to miss between 12-16 weeks due to the injury in what is a cruel blow for a player that has suffered with injury previously, but had shown some brilliant form in recent times.
It is a far from ideal start to life at the helm for new head coach Wayne Pivac as he heads into his first tournament with the team.
As well as these injuries there are also further concerns regarding the likes of stars Liam Williams and Josh Navidi, who are both currently sidelined through injury, with the former looking likely to miss some part of the Six Nations.
Wales are looking to bounce-back during the tournament following a fourth-place finish at the World Cup, with all players hoping to impress Warren Gatland’s successor.
Munster Star in Six Nations Fitness Race
Munster have confirmed that one of their key men is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines which could put his Six Nations spot in doubt
Munster fly-half Joey Carbery is set for yet another spell in the sidelines according to head coach Johann van Graan due to injury.
Van Graan confirmed that Carbery is still suffering from an ankle injury which he sustained during Ireland’s Rugby World Cup warm-up game against Italy and is not able to put a return date for his comeback due to the nature of the injury.
“He is going to be out for some time. We got to make sure he gets his strength back and we get that ankle fully functional. From Joey’s point of view, obviously, he wants to play but his body is not right. Because of the type of injury he is definitely not going to be back in the next few weeks, I can tell you that,” he said on Carbery.
The out-half was selected ahead of Leinster’s Ross Byrne in Ireland’s World Cup squad despite carrying the injury. However, it was reiterated throughout the tournament that he had fully recovered, which now appears to be untrue.
His head coach also told reporters that the 23-year-old will not undergo surgery on the injury. When asked about the possibility of Carbery playing before Christmas van Graan admitted he is hopeful but he cannot be sure right now.
“I hope so. At this stage it is very difficult for the medical team to determine that. Because he has had it for quite a while the most important thing now is Joey’s health. He is a Munster player. He is under my watch now so we have got to look after him. He is very important for the national team, I believe, for the future of Irish rugby,” he added.
It is a massive blow for the Munster player who only moved from Leinster ahead of last season, and after starting brightly in the red jersey he picked up a hamstring injury that left him out for large portions of the season.
The fear for Carbery now however is that due to the nature of the injury and the inability to place a return date, he could face a race to be fit for Ireland’s Six Nations campaign at the start of February next year. Carbery will hopefully be back in action and back to match fitness by then as he will want the chance to impress new head coach Andy Farrell during his first tournament at the helm.
Sexton to Miss Northampton Return Game
All Blacks Players’ Player of the Year Confirmed
Diamond in Hot Water for Post-Match Comments
These are class. All the Irish Rugby Gifs
The Low-down on Ulster’s New Signings
2019/20 Season Fixtures & Results
Pro141 week ago
Is this the cutest thing to happen on a rugby pitch?
Rugby1 week ago
Hansen Confirms New Job in Japan
International1 week ago
All Blacks Confirm 2020 Home Fixtures
Pro145 days ago
Dragons Prop Forced to Retire Early
Sevens6 days ago
‘Quadzilla’ Set for Sevens Debut
International5 days ago
Is Schmidt to Blame for Ireland’s RWC Failings?
International5 days ago
Cooper Talks About Kneeing McCaw in the Head
Pro147 days ago
Ospreys Turn to Ruddock for Morale Boost