Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

International

Leicester Tigers strike loan deal for Scarlets star until end of season.

He will provide cover in the back three.

Published

on

Photo by Athena Pictures/Getty Images

Leicester Tigers have announced the signing of Scarlets and former South Africa U20 Star on a loan deal until the end of the season.

The 28-year-old flyer provides cover at Full-Back or Wing which has been a major area of concern for the relegation-threatened Tigers. They have been left short in back three options due to the retirement of Matthew Tait and the long term injuries to Adam Thompstone and Telusa Veainu.

Blommetjies joined the Scarlets from fellow Pro14 side, Toyota Cheetahs last summer following a stand out season for the South African franchise but has found his opportunities limited to only 6 appearances in Wales.

Embed from Getty Images

Scarlets coach Wayne Pivac commented on the loan deal;

“We are fortunate to have a number of high-quality options in our back three at the moment so have agreed to Leicester’s request for a loan deal for Clayton.”

Scarlets are certainly not short of back-three options boasting Welsh Internationals Leigh Halfpenny, Steff Evans and Rhys Patchell along with New Zealander and soon to be Welsh qualified try scoring machine, Johnny McNicholl. They will have to face Zebre this weekend without Blommetjies in the Pro14 but many see this as a foregone conclusion in favour of the Scarlets.

Leicester Tigers coach Geordan Murphy does not have such luxuries and has welcomed the addition to his side hoping that Blommetjies could be the spark that his Tigers side needs to avoid relegation.

Tigers head coach Geordan Murphy said:

“Injuries have stretched us with Mathew Tait’s retirement and the long-term absence of Adam Thompstone and Telusa Veainu so we’ve been looking to add to our options in the back three and we’re happy that Clayton has come in to join that group.”

Speaking at the club’s Oval Park training ground, Blommetjies told LTTV:

“I think I will fit in nicely at Leicester Tigers.”

“I will do my best and give 100% in everything I do for the rest of the season.”

This is the second short-term signing made in 2 weeks by the Tigers with the addition of former Bath & Toulon coach Mike Ford to their coaching team until the season end.

With only 4 games to go in the Gallagher Premiership, the Tigers sit precariously in 10th position, only 5 points above bottom side Newcastle Falcons with many UK rugby bookmakers offering bets on Tigers to finish at the bottom.

Leicester Tigers travel to Newcastle this weekend to face the Falcons in a must win match that will undoubtedly be season defining.

Murphy opted to go with Australian International, Matt Toomua in the 15 jersey last week in the heavy defeat to Exeter Chiefs. It will be interesting to see if Blommetjies is parachuted straight into the starting XV for the crunch game.

This weekend offers some fascinating ties in Round 19 of Gallagher Premiership action.

  • Newcastle Falcons v Leicester Tigers
  • Gloucester v Bath
  • Harlequins v Northampton Saints
  • Worcester Warriors v Sale Sharks
  • Bristol Bears v Saracens
  • Exeter Chiefs v Wasps

Check out Blommetjies Full Interview with LTTV:

6 Nations

World Rugby Gives Deadline for Nations Championship

World Rugby have given the 10 unions from the Six Nations and Rugby Championship a final deadline to decide on the Nations Championship

Published

on

World Rugby have confirmed that global rugby chiefs will have until Friday to decide whether or not the Nations Championship plans will be backed

The governing body has given the unions of the Six Nations and Rugby Championship nations until the closing of business on Friday of this week to provide a yes or no answer towards their new plans.

For their plans to be progressed World Rugby needs a unanimous decision from the 10 unions.

If that is to happen, they plan to launch their new format in 2022, with winners of the Six Nations and an expanded six-team Rugby Championship going head to head.

The final proposals of the Nations Championship will have to be passed by a vote of the full World Rugby council, however none of this will go ahead unless there is backing from the 10 nations.

Proposals have included creating two-tier tournaments for the Six Nations and Rugby Championship which would include the possibility of relegation or promotion.

A format which Six Nations unions appear to dislike.

As well as this there is the issue of the Pacific Islands, who believe that the creation of such tournaments would mean that they would be less likely to face the top nations in November and therefore be unable to develop as they currently are.

Whatever is to happen will become clearer in the next couple of days and it could be the start of a new era for international rugby.

Continue Reading

International

Offer Kerevi Turned Down was “very, very good”

Wallabies’ director of rugby Scott Johnson rues the loss of one of the nation’s star players

Published

on

(Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

Wallabies’ director of rugby Scott Johnson has admitted that Rugby Australia did all they could to secure the services of Samu Kerevi.

The 25-year-old centre has starred for both club and country but turned down a contract extension with both and will move to Japan following the conclusion of the World Cup later this year.

Johnson, who was speaking at a Melbourne Rebels function ahead of their final regular season game of this year’s Super Rugby, is disappointed that Australia has lost a key player in their prime.

“Let’s get it straight, the offer was good. I’ve seen the offer that Samu was given and it was a very, very good offer that would have put him in the higher echelons of our country,” he said.

The decision to leave by the 23-capped Aussie is also due to off-field matters and Johnson knows that it is complicated.

“It’s not perfect for him and for us and we understand there are issues away from the game for him. It opens the door for other players who we may be talking about in a different light in 12 months’ time,” he added.

Kerevi becomes that latest player to head overseas to play their trade, and he is well below the 60-cap requirement needed for such players to represent the Wallabies, but Johnson stands by the law.

“I think the key component is that we have a responsibility to make sure our competition is the best in the world. It’s great to be able to control the player – their strength and conditioning and their skill development. We understand there are challenges but at the moment we think there’s a nice mix of rewarding longevity,” he finished.

However, former-Wallaby captain Stirling Mortlock, who was also at the function, believes that Rugby Australia needs a serious change, or it will face massive problems in the future.

“It’s a massive challenge and if we don’t get our house in order in four years’ time, we will have to change the eligibility rule because you might have a lot of players not in Super Rugby. It baffles me that we still haven’t got our house in order with everyone pulling in the same direction. We’ve got still different factions in different areas looking after their own backyard and that’s what’s stifling us. The New Zealand model is all about creating great All Blacks and everyone club and player knows that, but it doesn’t happen in this country,” he said.

Wallabies fans are certainly not pleased by the loss of Kerevi and Rugby Australia will need to do something soon to ensure that key players stay with them in the future.

Continue Reading

International

Jones to Stay with England Post 2021?

Eddie Jones has committed his future to the England national team but how long will he stay for?

Published

on

(Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

New RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney has admitted that England head coach Eddie Jones could stay beyond his contract which runs out in 2021.

Along with this Sweeney announced that assistant coach John Mitchell has signed a contract until 2021 also, which had been reported earlier by the Telegraph.

The move for Mitchell is to coincide with Jones’ contract according to Sweeney.

“We have extended John Mitchell’s contract through to be consistent with Eddie’s, so it goes through to June of 2021. That was in full consultation with Eddie. He and I spoke about it about five, six weeks ago maybe. It is part of Eddie’s long-term coaching structure plans. So we entered into negotiations with John, he is keen to stay and we concluded the agreement about three weeks ago. He is contracted now through to June 2021,” he said.

Mitchell joined Jones’ set-up just before the Red Roses Autumn internationals and has overseen a positive turn in results since.

Sweeney continued on to say that Jones could potentially remain at the helm after his current contract runs out.

“It is possible, we are not looking at that at this stage. The focus now is really on the World Cup and then making sure we get our plans in place post World Cup. Eddie has reconfirmed his commitment through to 2021. We have lots of conversations on that and he has said he wants to stay through to the end of that contracted period. So, from that perspective we’ve already started conversations around what will the structure and look of that coaching team be coming back from Japan,” he added.

Although Mitchell has extended his contract there are several others in the coaching set-up of England that are yet to commit, and Jones is looking at candidates to sign up according to Sweeney.

“He has got a number of names in the frame. We haven’t approached them yet. We wouldn’t contract anyone pre-World Cup. But he has got in mind how he would like to structure that as soon as we get back. We would confirm it immediately as soon as we got back,” he continued.

If speculation is to be believed then Mitchell’s extension could be part of a plan for him to eventually replace Jones as head coach of the English team, however, for now Jones will stay in charge.

Continue Reading

Trending