Mathieu Bastareaud has discussed his post-World Cup move to Rugby United New York and confirmed his family were the main reason to head abroad.
Bastareaud’s move to the American side was confirmed on Monday after he had opted to turn down South African side the Sharks.
“My first idea was South Africa, with the Sharks. We talked for a long time, but there was nothing concrete. But with my new family situation, I needed something safe. In the end, we entered into discussions with [RUNY chief executive] Pierre Arnald,” he said to L’Equipe.
Following discussion with both teams he chose to head over to the Big Apple.
“New York, ultimately, was the best compromise between the experience of living and seeing something else with the family. I have to think for three now, not just for me,” he said.
It had been reported that the Toulon and France centre would go on a year-long loan, but he has confirmed that this is a permanent move.
“It’s not a loan at all. I am under contract with RCT until November, then paid by the New York club until June,” he added.
Once the year is up Bastareaud would like to continue playing however, he has said that nothing is set in stone.
“For the rest, there are discussions. Will anyone want me again? It’s not clear. It’s an experience to come back better. It’s just a goodbye and see you soon. I hope [to come back] but nothing is fixed,” he finished.
Bastareaud will join former England international, Ben Foden, in New York, and after that we will have to wait and see where the French powerhouse ends up.
